Super Modified FWD Trucks
Weight of truck not to exceed 6,200 lbs
A. BODY CHASSIS
1. Vehicle must have hood, grill and fenders in place as intended by manufacturer.
2. Vehicle body style must be or have been available from a dealer as mass produced.
3. Vehicle must maintain original appearance.
4. Vehicle must have complete outer shell(doors, fenders, hood, body sides).
5. Cab and bare chassis or flat bed not allowed.
6. All doors and hoods to be functional unless tilt bodies, tilt bodies without working doors must have external lifting
7. Truck doors must have a single latch design, allowing the door to be operated from inside or outside.
8. Vehicles with less than stock size window openings must have an escape hatch with a minimum size of 17 inches
by 18 inches.
9. Air shock type devices are allowed as long as there are no lines or controls going to and from them.
10. Adjustable front suspension stops must be mechanical. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical adjustable stops not
11. Vehicles have the option of not having front windshield and/or rear glass installed in the vehicle for safety
12. Stained or smoked glass is not allowed.
13. Tinted windows that impair the track official's view of the driver's compartment are not allowed.
14. Vehicles in this division must have vertical bumpers at the rearmost point of the vehicle. Bottom of the bumper to
be minimum of 8 inches vertically. Must be rigid.
15. Hood line variance: original hood line should be kept and a 3 inch maximum clearance opening will be allowed
for speed equipment.
1. No drawbar greater than the angle of the sled chain. (Acceptable angle: 0 degress to a maximum of 33 degress.)
2. Drawbar height to be 26 inches for supercharged and turbo diesel trucks and 27 inches for naturally aspirated.
3. Drawbar length from the center point of the rear axle to the hook point to be 30% of wheel base. NO SHORTER.
4. Drawbars shall be constructed so that in the event of drawbar breakage, the drawbar supports do not pull from a
top link or brace above the centerline of the rear axle. Support must be within 6" of point of hook, can be closer.
5. Drawbars at the point of hook need to be minimum 1" thick steel plate, to a maximum of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square
or 1-1/2 round steel stock, with the oblong shape 3-3/4" long by 3" wide minimum to a maximum 3-3/4" round
6. Drawbars that have provisions to be made shorter than legal length are not acceptable.
7. All drawbars must be approved by the tech official.
C: DRIVELINE/DRIVELINE SHIELDING
1. Vehicle must have three (3) round metal loops shielding driveshaft.
a: 360 degree loop must be a minimum of 3/8 inch aluminium 04 5/16 inch steel, 3/4 inch wide (or wider) and not
more than 2 inches from the shaft in any direction.
b: End loops to be placed no farther than 6 inches from universal joints, with third loop in center of shaft.
c: May use a solid tube ( 3/8 inch aluminium or 5/16 inch steel) to meet above requirements.
2. If planetary reductions at wheels are used, the following drive shaft shielding criteria will apply. No cast metal.
a: All remaining drive train, excluding additional manual transmissions, must be enclose in 5/16 inch minimum steel
or 3/8 inch aluminium, round, inside diameter not to exceed 2 inches more than the outside diameter of the largest
universal joint, fastened every 6 inches or closer, with 3/8 inch or larger bolts, Grade # 5, of butt and seam welded,
and securely mounted to vehicle's frame. Applies to all vehicles with exposed drive shaft. No more than 1/4 inch of
end of driveline shall be visible with driveline shielding in place.
NOTE: If U joints are used in any drive shaft application, the shielding must be 5/16 inch steel or 3/8 inch aluminium
with 1/8 inch steel insert in aluminium. The shield must be a minimum of 6 inches wide.
b: All FWD engine/ automatic transmission combinations must have either:
i. two front engine mounts, two rear engine mounts, and a support saddle for rear of transmission, with 1/2 inch
maximum clearance; OR
ii. two front engine mounts, support saddle at rear of engine, with 1/2 inch clearance, and a mount at rear of
NOTE: This is to prevent engine or transmission from dropping if breakage occurs.
3. Drive shafts between engine and transfer case must have solid shielding a minimum of 3/8 inch aluminium or
4. Vehicle must have 360 degree metal shield around the universal joints, 3/8 inch aluminium or 5/16 steel,
minimum width 6 inches.
NOTE: If a split design is used, mount as in Rule 2: a above
5. Axle and hub bolt shield required, except where planetary final devices are used.
a: Shield must be at least 0.060 inch thick.
b: Minimum diameter of axle end or hub bolts to be covered on both front and rear axles.
c: mounting shield cannot be mounted to axle end or hub bolts.
d: a hole may be installed in center of front shield so lock can be operated, so long as hub end or axle bolts are
e. No counter balancers permitted in driveline.
6. Trucks must have front brakes that will control the vehicle.
7. All drivelines must have 3/8"steel 360 degrees around brake components and both ends must be closed with
1/8" or greater steel.
1. Vehicles are limited to a single automotive type engine. Automotive engine is any engine or its replica available
in a passenger car of pickup truck. Maximum 10 cylinders. A replica engine block to be considered legal must be a
maximum of 5" bore space on center. Acceptable engines to include Dodge V-10 and Ford V-10 and pickup
diesels. These engines must follow the rest of the rules related to cubic inch displacement, head configuration and
pressure stages. Maximum of 650 cubic inches in motor naturally aspirated or 500 cubic inch supercharged.
2. Diesel turbo maximum 466 cubic inch.
3: Automotive type block aluminium or cast iron allowed.
4: All motors with wedge style heads may use up to 871 supercharger but heads must accept stock valve covers
(supercharged only) 40% maximum overdrive allowed on blower.
5: Diesels are limited to two valves per cylinder.
6: Blowers or turbo limited to one pressure stage.
7: All superchargers must be mounted to the intake manifold by use of aluminium studs only. (No steel studs allowed).
a: Supercharger restraint system is mandatory and shall consist of four separate straps, one on each corner of
he supercharger, with each strap securely fastened to the engine by means of its own attachment bracket.
The top attachment bracket to be sandwiched between the lower surface of the injector body and the upper
surface of the supercharger case. The bottom attachment bracket for each strap shall be connected to the
engine by minimum of one 5/16 inch bolt or stud, grade 5 or better.
b: Supercharger drive components must be shrouded on the top and sides of 0.060 inch metal. Blower belt
shield must be wider than all components, idler, belt, pulleys, etc., and to extend to the bottom of the bottom
pulley or below.
c: Turbo charger must be completely shrouded. Except for inlet and exhaust pipes, with steel or aluminium or
at least .60 in thickness. Body panels are appropriate shrouding if turbo is not visible from outside of vehicle.
8. Exceptable fuels are gasoline, diesel and alcohol.
9 Engine must be in stock location, which as defined as being, within engine compartment as manufactured, behind
stock grill, and in front of stock firewall.
10. Vehicle may run without a radiator, and engine maybe moved forward, but engine must stay behind the grill.
NOTE: Entire engine to mean anything that is bolted to the engine block.
11. Except for high performance type starters with crank shaft drive, rear of engine block may not be forward of
center line of front axle.
12. Automotive engines must run 2 valves per cylinder and 1 spark plug per cylinder.
13. Fuel injection (and carburetors) and headers may protrude through the hood.
14. Vehicle must have vertical exiting exhaust. Height of pipe must be minimum of one foot above bend.
NOTE: Vertical is defined as "being in plumb" with a 10 degree variance in any direction permitted.
15. Engine to be shielded on both sides from bottom to top to block and the entire length of block. Shields must be
60 thou material or greater and be securely mounted.
16. Engines that use harmonic balancers must use SFI approved balancer.
17. Throttle return springs, 2 per carb or injector.
18. Turbo chargers: Max diameter to be 3.00 inch with 2 grade 53/8" bolts placed in the exhaust a cross pattern.
within 1 inch of each other directly after the turbo charger.
19. Diesel: No fuel is to be injected in any other way than the fuel injection pump.
20. Diesel: Water injection is permitted, alcohol, methanol and other flammables are prohibited. Commercially
available pump lube is allowed.
21. Diesel: A 3 way driver operated fuel dump valve is required in fuel system and must divert fuel from the injection
pump back to the fuel tank.
22. Diesel: A sled and driver operated spring loaded emergency air shutoff is mandatory. The cable must terminate
into a two inch diameter steel ring at the rear of the vehicle.
1. May be different than the make and model of truck body.
2. Must be main supporting member of chassis, OEM truck frame.
3. Tubular steel frame is allowed.
4. Center of wheels cannot exceed plus or minus 6 inches of fender walls for wheelbase being used, which means
that a vehicle may run up to a maximum of 133 inch wheelbase.
5. Wheels must be in fender wells as described above. Body may be stretched in middle to accompany this.
6. The outside edge of the tire on the narrow axle must overlap the centerline of the tire on the wide axle by at least
7. Maximum wheelbase cannot be longer than 133 inches.
8. Weights to be no more than 60 inches from centerline of front axle.
9. Solid rear suspension only.
1. Truck must have floor or bed cover
2. Truck may compete without tailgate or rear doors for greater hook point visibility.
3. No portion of the truck may interfere with sled, chain or hook during pull or while being hooked or unhooked.
4. An area of 5 inches wide and 12 inches high immediately above the drawbar must be free of all obstructions,
(including weights, wheelie bars, and second drawbar) for ease of hooking and unhooking.
a: if body extends more than 12 inches behind point of hook, the open area must be 18 inches above drawbar
and 24 inches wide at rear most point of body.
5. Vehicle must have tow hitch on front of vehicle.
a: it can extend no more than 6 inches ahead of the farthest most front portion of the vehicle.
b: it will not be counted when measuring the length of the vehicle.
c: it must have a 3 inch diameter hole positioned horizontally.
d: It must be strong enough to push or pull the vehicle at its heaviest weight.
e: It is to be used only for pushing or pulling the vehicle.
1. Vehicle must have a complete firewall (no holes except for controls)
2. Vehicles that do not have working doors must carry an onboard halon fire system with a minimum of three (3)
nozzles located within the drivers compartment/engine compartment. Truck with working doors must carry 2 1/2
pound ABC or 1 1/2 pound halon fire extinguisher convenient to driver.
3. Flip top or funny car type vehicles must have body in lowered position before vehicle may be moved under its own
4. Flip top type bodies must have a safety lock to hold up the body.
5. Body may be raised to start engine and may stay in raised position while engine is running as long as vehicle is
not in motion.
6. At no time will vehicle be running without someone in the drivers seat.
H. OPERATOR'S COMPARTMENT
7: No fuel tanks, fuel pressure gauges, fuel pumps and/or fuel lines are allowed in the operator's compartment.
a: if the fuel tank is located behind the driver, a fire barrier is required from the firewall to the rear of the drivers
seat. (0.60 inch aluminium or steel is acceptable fire barrier material).
8. Vehicles must use wheels no more than 6 inches off the ground, within 6 inches of the forward most part of the
a: wheels must be a minimum of 6 inches in diameter by 2 inches wide.
b: wheels must support the weight of the vehicle.
c: wheels must be raised or removed for the purpose of ground clearance when vehicle is not on competition
d: wheels must be at least 3 feet apart.
9. Weights must be safely secured to vehicle, and must not extend forward more than 60 inches from the centerline
of front wheel.
10. Truck must have rear kill switch and backup light.
11. Truck must have a neutral safety switch to prevent the vehicle from starting in gear.
Maximum tire size to be 112 inch circumference, when inflated to 30 psi with original bar, not to exceed 17 inches in
width before cutting. No dual wheels. Bar tires only.
J: BELL HOUSING & TRANSMISSIONS
1. Bell housings to be SFI 6.2 or 6.3 with a 3/16" steel block plate.
2. Clutch and flywheel must be SFI 1.1 or 1.2 approved.
3. Automatic transmissions must have a SFI 4.1 or 4.2 scatter blanket covering the bellhousing and transmission
body, or combination transmission body shield SFI 4.1 and belt housing blanket SFI 4.1 or an approved
transmission body SFI 4.1 and a bell housing blanket SFI4.1. Flex plate to be SFI 29.1.
4. All bellhousings and clutches must have owner must sign a guarantee of compliance and verification form
J: ADDITIONAL RULES
1. Complete fire suits are mandatory, including balaclava, fireproof gloves and boots. No running shoes
2. Helmets must be worn by all drivers when making their pull meeting Snell 2000 or newer.
3. Anyone not wearing a helmet will be disqualified.
4. Lap belts must be worn during the pull, original equipment lap belts are satisfactory.
5. Pullers will be on the honour system for weight with off site scales.
6. No trucks may bump up into class without complying with these rules.
Class Reps: Graham Duff